Slims is now CLOSED
Review Date: August 2, 2010
Wing type: Traditional bone in, non breaded
Wing Special: Mondays: 10 for $3.50, 20 for $6.50, 30 for $9.75
- Chicken Quality: Very tender wings, the meat almost fell off the bone. Very large wings, only a few undersized wings in the entire order. The chicken had a bit of a smoky flavor which I’ve seen in other wings and disliked, but the flavor was faint enough that it wasn’t enough to hurt the wing overall
- Sauce Variety: Only two flavors, Buffalo and BBQ
- Sauce Quality:
- BBQ: tangy with a bit of sour, almost citrus taste to them with a touch of spice, but not what I would call spicy. Definitely a unique BBQ and not just a ketchupy sauce from off your supermarket shelf, I enjoyed this flavor.
- Buffalo: I really wouldn’t call this sauce ‘Buffalo’ in the traditional sense as there is more going on here than just a cayenne pepper sauce and butter. The sauce had a little bit of a ketchup taste without tasting too much like a BBQ sauce. If you had the wings at Colonel Hart’s, they’re fairly similar – peppery, tangy, an almost citrus-like taste. At first, I didn’t like the flavor all that much, but as I ate more, it really started to grow on me and I generally enjoyed them. They had a decent spice to them, but nothing overpowering, most people should be able to eat these without issue, I would consider them mild-medium on my taste buds.
- Sides Quality: Served with carrots, not celery. Bleu cheese wasn’t all that great, more like a runny ranch with some mild tasting bleu cheese chunks thrown in. I’ve had worse, but there’s certainly better.
- Value: Normal menu price is pretty average at $8.50 for an order of wings, maybe just a bit above average, but they do have a great wing deal on Mondays.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 9/10
Sauce Quality: 8/10
Sauce Variety: 1/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 25/33 = 76
Not the best wings out there, but worth a trip if your in the area or are looking for a change of pace to your Monday wing night. Also worth noting, Slim McGinn’s offers a taco special on Mondays too! So if you want wings but someone you’re with isn’t in the mood, perhaps they’d like Tacos!