Name: The Bowery
Where: 3023 W Ryan Road, Franklin, WI 53132
Review Date: November 4, 2010
Wing type: Traditional, Bone-in OR breaded
Wing Special: $0.40 wings Tuesday and Thursday
- Chicken Quality: Average to above average size wings. I have never had a more tender wing anywhere, you could just pull the bones right out of the wing. I believe these wings were baked rather than fried, which explains the tenderness. While I did enjoy the tenderness of the meat, the skin didn’t get the crispness that a fried wing gets, also, the wings seemed a bit fattier than normal. Despite this, the chicken quality was quite excellent and was a nice change of pace.
- Sauce Variety: Nine flavors of wings to choose from: Regular, Sweet & Sour, Inferno, Sweet & Tangy, Honey BBQ, Teriyaki, Buffalo, Spicy Garlic, Bangkok Peanut
- Sauce Quality:
- Inferno – Decent traditional cayenne pepper flavored sauce, but really not “Inferno”,” I’d put these at a medium at best on my personal heat scale. Unless your quite sensitive to spicy foods, the Inferno should be able to handle this one.
- Buffalo – Similar in taste to the Inferno, really not all milder than the the Inferno so far as I could taste.
- Spicy Garlic – In my opinion, this is the Bowery’s best flavor. Very good garlic flavor and with a bit of kick. Not overly spicy, but just enough zip to keep it interesting.
- Teriyaki – Probably their second best flavor. A great balance of the salty, savory teriyaki taste with just a touch of sweetness to balance that out, just a little bit of heat too.
- Bangkok Peanut – I expected to not like this flavor as I generally to not like the flavors of peanut and spice mixed together. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this one, maybe cause the peanut taste was very faint. A good blend of peanut flavor, a bit of heat, and Asian spices make this a unique flavor.
- Sweet and Tangy – Not really what I was expecting, this was really just a sweet BBQ sauce, not really my thing, but tasty for what it is.
- Sauces overall: The only drawback here is that I felt the flavors should have been a little more pronounced. We had trouble telling the difference between some of the flavors. Some were very, very good. But others were a tad on the bland side. Also, the wings could have used a little extra sauce. If you prefer a drier wing, you’ll like these. However, I prefer my wings slathered in sauce, so, these were a bit disappointing in that respect.
- Sides Quality: Served with ranch or bleu cheese and celery. The bleu cheese was a bit disappointing as it really tasted like some ranch dressing with bleu cheese chucks tossed in, the result is a dressing a little too sweet for my tastes.
- Value: Normal menu price was average, but the Bowery offers two wing nights where you can get $0.40 wings on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 9/10
Sauce Quality: 7/10
Sauce Variety: 5/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 27/33 = 82 — I think the Bowery is on the verge of having something great here, they really just need to distinguish their sauces a bit more as while some stood out, the others were hard to tell apart.