Name: The Varsity Club
Where: 12400 W Beloit Rd, New Berlin, WI 53151
Review Date: March 23, 2011
Wing type: Traditional, bone –in
Wing Special: $0.35 wings on Wednesdays
- Chicken Quality: Average sized wings cooked to varying degrees of doneness…. some were cooked very well, crispy yet moist. Another batch was really overcooked, crunchy, greasy, and a bit dry. If they were cooked the same, I ‘d say this was some pretty good chicken, but those burnt wings were a bit off-putting.
- Sauce Variety: Nine flavors to choose from:BBQ, Honey Mustard, Hot, Jerk, Teriyaki, Bourbon, Plain, Chipotle, Garlic Parmesan
- Sauce Quality: We sampled five of the nine flavors
- Honey mustard – Very strong honey taste that overpowers any tanginess from the mustard. Good if you like a sweet sauce for your wings, but I prefer my mustard to be a bit sharper with a bit of heat. A tasty option for someone looking for a very mild, sweet sauce.
- Chipotle – A Chipotle BBQ sauce without too much taste of Chipotle peppers by my taste. When I think chipotle, I expect a very smoky taste that was only faintly detectable in this sauce. Good tasting for a BBQ sauce, but I wouldn’t quite call this cause “chipotle”
- Bourbon – Very strong bourbon taste combined with a sweet, almost maple syrup taste. Similar to the Jack Daniels sauce at TGI Friday’s. Like the honey mustard, tasty, but a but too sweet for my tastes.
- Buffalo – My favorite flavor at the Varsity Club. No surprises here, but a very traditional Buffalo style sauce. Not overly hot by any means, but just enough zip to make it tasty.
- Teriyaki – Like other sauces, a bit sweeter than I would like in a teriyaki sauce as I prefer a more salty, savory teriyaki, but not too sweet, still a good teriyaki sauce.
- Sides Quality: Wings served with ranch and celery, we were not offered bleu cheese, bummer. However, the ranch itself was pretty tasty and always nice to see some celery as a garnish, it’s too often forgotten.
- Value: Normal menu price is pretty average and more importantly, a $0.35 wing special.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 7/10
Sauce Variety: 4/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 24/33 = 73
Additional notes: While I normally try and keep the reviews focused on wings only, I feel I must comment on the service we received on two separate occasions: terrible. Service so bad, it was almost comical. There were only two of us at our visit on March 23 and we sat down at a table. Other people came in after us and had their order taken before anyone approached us. We ordered a couple of beers and that was it, 45 minutes passed without anyone returning to the table so we eventually ordered another round and our food at the bar. I have no problem ordering at the bar if there is no wait staff, but there was, in fact, she would tend to tables a couple of feet away to take orders or clean them. I’d like to say it was a fluke, but we had been there once previously too and had dreadfully slow service where we felt ignored. It wasn’t as bad as our most recent visit, but bad enough to make me remember! Lesson to the service industry, you never know who writes a blog!