Name: Oscar’s Pub & Grill
Where: 1712 W. Pierce St, Milwaukee, WI 53204
Review Date: December 22, 2011
Wing Type: Traditional, bone-in
Wing Special: Thursday $0.25 wings (dine-in only)
- Chicken Quality: Average size wings at best, some were even a bit smaller. Despite the smaller size they were cooked very well, not overly done but with a nice crispy outside and moist interior.
- Sauce Variety: Four flavors to choose from: Buffalo, Chipotle, Sweet Habanero, and BBQ.
- Sauce Quality:
- Sweet Habanero – a bit disappointed in this one as I generally like the mix of sweet at heat. Unfortunately, this sauce was way too sweet, almost like pure honey. Even our mildest wing eaters in the group could eat these wings without issue which means there was little to no habanero taste in this sauce. Good if you’re looking for a sweet and mild wing, but with habanero in the title,this sweet and sticky sauce was not what I was expecting.
- Chipotle – this was my favorite flavor at Oscar’s. I often dislike chipotle flavored sauces as they can be too smoky or taste too much like a BBQ sauce (which I generally dislike on my wings). However, this sauce did neither of those things. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers was not overpowering and delivered a nice heat (nothing outrageous though) which made for an overall tasty, well balanced sauce. Probably the best (and hottest) sauce available here.
- Buffalo – no surprises here, this is your traditional Buffalo style, cayenne pepper based wing sauce. However, to me this sauce tasted oddly salty for what you’d expect, not salty enough to make it inedible or anything, but enough for me to notice that something was a bit off
- BBQ – I did not directly sample this sauce but am relying on a member of the group I was with, they reported the BBQ wing to be lacking both sauce and flavor, a faint taste of BBQ but almost a plain wing.
- Sides Quality: Wings were served with your choice of ranch or bleu cheese dressings, no celery or other sides. As far as the bleu cheese goes, it looked fantastic in appearance but it didn’t taste nearly as well as it has that dreaded sour taste that some bleu cheese dressings can have.
- Value: Pretty average menu price but a great wing special on Thursday’s where you can snag wings for $0.25. It’s getting hard to find wings offered at that price nowadays.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 7/10
Sauce Variety: 3/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 23/33 = 70 Oscar’s is a newcomer to the Milwaukee bar scene having just opened its doors in 2011. While the wings aren’t stellar, they’re certainly serviceable and the bar itself is pretty cool. Additionally, check our there menu for some awesome sounding burgers that I may just have to go back for…. www.milwaukeeburgers.com anyone?