Name: Lucky’s Irish Pub & Grill
Where: 789 W Layton Ave Milwaukee, WI 53221
Review Date: November 8, 2011
Wing Type: Traditional, Bone-in
Wing Special: $0.25 wings on Tuesdays
- Chicken Quality: Average sized wings that were cooked well, a nice crispy exterior with a moist inside. Some of the smaller wings got a bit overdone in the fryer however and were and subsequently a bit dried out and tough.
- Sauce Variety: Five sauces: Lucky’s Spicy Buffalo, Teriyaki, House, Extreme Heat, or Lucky’s Guinness BBQ
- Sauce Quality:
- Teriyaki – an odd sauce as it was really just kind of bland. Not too sweet, but not too flavorful either. I would avoid this one unless the other sauces do not sound appealing to you.
- Lucky’s Guinness BBQ – a nice tangy BBQ sauce which I did enjoy which I think says something as I generally dislike BBQ sauce on wings. For what I could taste it wasn’t some out of the bottle sauce like Sweet Baby Rays or the like, so props for that!
- House – this is a mix of their Buffalo and BBQ sauce that I really enjoyed. This sauce gives you the nice tangy taste from the BBQ with some of the heat from the Buffalo, definitely worth a shot.
- Buffalo – no surprises here, your traditional Buffalo style sauce derived from a Cayanne pepper hot sauce. And while not surprising, it was just the right amount of heat for a traditional Buffalo sauce, nothing that will make you spit fire, but has enough of a zip to wake up your mouth. All in all, a good Buffalo sauce.
- Extreme Heat – at first, really nothing all that noticible or hot. However, this sauce really hits you about 1-2 minutes after you eat the wing. Not hot enough to render you incapable of talking or anything along those lines, but the sauce did give a long lasting burn that stuck around. Flavor wise, it was similar to the normal Buffalo sauce but with a hit of smokiness to it.
- Sides Quality: Wings were served with your choice of ranch or bleu cheese dressing and plenty of celery and carrots. As for the bleu cheese, nothing stellar and a bit lacking on the bleu cheese taste, but it was cool and creamy (a bit runny though) and didn’t have the sour funkiness that some bleu cheese dressings can have. So, while not the best ever it did it’s job and was a fair compliment to the spicier wings.
- Value: Normal menu price of $6.99 for an order of wings is pretty average. A stellar special on Tuesdays as you can snag $0.25 wings and get $2 domestic beers!
- The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 8/10
Sauce Variety: 3/5
Sides Quality: 4/5
Overall: 25/33 = 76 – Lucky’s is a relatively new bar that now occupies the space where Bigalke’s used to be (my review for them has been removed). Tuesdays truly is a great night to be here. Not only do you get the $0.25 wing special, but also $2 domestic beers and trivia! If it wasn’t for having to check out new places I’d seriously consider Lucky’s for routine visits due to some good wings, cheap beer, and the trivia!