Name: Jonny Hammers
Where: 6300 W Lincoln Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53219
Review Date: May 13, 2010
Wing type: Traditional Bone-in, Breaded, or Grilled
Wing Special: Thursday $0.35 Wings
- Chicken Quality: Above average sized wings, most cooked quite well. However, it seemed that some of the larger wings could have spent an extra couple of in the fryer as they had a very slippery texture of an underdone wing. They weren’t undercooked by any means, but I think just a bit longer would have yielded a crispier and tastier wing. Also, a small number of the wings were a bit veiny… granted, this can happen with any wing at any place, but it just seemed a bit more prevalent here.
- Sauce Variety: A very nice variety of flavors here: Buffalo, Regular, Extra Hot, BBQ, Teriyaki, Spicy BBQ, Hammers BBQ. While it may not be the largest flavor list I’ve seen, the ability to get your wings traditional, breaded, or grilled really gives you a bunch of options to change it up, that’s worth an extra point in my book.
- Sauce Quality:
- Regular – Jonny Hammer boasts that it uses Frank’s Red Hot sauce and you can taste it! This very traditional buffalo wing sauce has that classic cayenne pepper and vinegar based hot sauce taste that I love! Not overwhelmingly hot, there’s just enough heat here to keep it interesting without burning you mouth.
- Extra Hot – At first there didn’t seem to be a whole lot here, but after a few wings this one really caught up to you. It wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle, but it was definitely quite warm. The only drawback to this wing that I could find was that some of the awesome flavor present in there regular wings disappeared in this sauce, there wasn’t too much of a balance of taste and heat, just mainly heat.
- Spicy BBQ – Not too hot, just a bit of a kick here. The BBQ isn’t really sweet at all either, which is good for a spicier BBQ, the savory, smoky flavors of this sauce work well with that little bit of heat.
- Hammers BBQ – I really liked this flavor, very unique BBQ sauce that had some hits of citrus to it. BBQ sauces can easily bore me, but I would make a point to order this great BBQ sauce.
- Teriyaki – Very tasty teriyaki. Unlike some places, the teriyaki isn’t some sticky sweet sauce, this is a much more savory teriyaki, which I really enjoy. One pitfall of these savory teriyaki sauces is that they can be overly salty, thankfully, this teriyaki doesn’t have that problem and achieves a great savory flavor without being too salty.
- Sauces Overall – I really, really enjoyed both the regular and the Hammer’s BBQ, with the Hammer’s BBQ probably being my favorite BBQ wing in recent memory.
- Sides Quality: Celery severed with the wings along with your choice of bleu cheese or ranch. I had the bleu cheese with was a pretty mild tasting bleu cheese, but better that than the sour tasting dressings you can find elsewhere.
- Value: Very good wing special on Thursdays and the regular menu price is quite reasonable as long as you’re ordering in batches of 12, ordering in 6’s is fairly expensive. Also worth noting is the fact they serve $6 pitchers of beer on Thursday along with wing night, always great to find a good drink special along with a wing special.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 9/10
Sauce Variety: 5/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 27/33 = 82
Jonny Hammer’s is a very blue collar West Allis corner bar that serves up some good wings, be sure to check them out if you’re in the neighborhood!