- Chicken Quality: Very good sized wings, not huge by any means, but definitely above average. I sometimes find the overly large wings aren’t the best quality, so these wings are a great balance of size and quality. Cooked well, still juicy inside, some wings had a crispier outside than others. Oddly, all of our wings were flats, we got no drummies in our order which was over 100 wings.
- Sauce Variety: Buffalo Style (Mild, Medium, Hot), BBQ, Caribbean Jerk (Mild, Medium, Hot), Spicy Garlic, Soy Sauce, Teriyaki
- Sauce Quality:
- Teriyaki – A saltier, more savory teriyaki than you may find elsewhere which I greatly enjoyed because of that fact
- Hot – I would have liked this one to be a tad hotter, but it shouldn’t cause anybody to be overwhelmed with heat by any means. There was a bit more to this sauce than the cayenne pepper and butter flavors that I expect from a Buffalo style sauce. This sauce had a bit of a sweeter, almost ketchup like taste that I really didn’t care for all that much.
- Medium – Similar to the hot, but a little less sweet. Also, this wing was quite a bit saltier than it’s hot counterpart. Really not spicy per my tastes, big jump between medium and hot.
- BBQ – I really did not like this BBQ sauce at all, it was more of a zippy ketchup than anything. No traditional BBQ taste. However, on the upside this BBQ sauce was a bit spicier than you can find elsewhere, but sadly, it wasn’t enough to redeem this strange tasting sauce.
- Spicy Garlic – If you’re like me and you love garlic, you will really like this wing. While I wish it was spicier, this was probably the most garlic taste in a sauce I’ve come across this far. The only downside of this sauce, it was EXTREMELY salty (garlic salt I’m guessing), however, this was still easily my favorite sauce at Grainger’s. This flavor also seemed to be a bit crispier than the other flavors, but that could have just been coincidence.
- Caribbean Jerk – Available in hot, medium and mild. Good Caribbean style spices, but a bit too sweet for my taste. I was able to try the hot variety, a bit of heat but nothing overwhelming. And for me, that bit of heat is offset quite a bit by the sweet taste to the sauce.
- Sauces Overall – Really liked the spicy garlic and the teriyaki, but I really disliked the traditional buffalo sauces and the BBQ (while I didn’t try the mild, a member of my party did and said they were just “bad.” The jerk was okay, but nothing special.
- Sides Quality: Ranch had a good taste, but a bit runny. I did not care for the bleu cheese at all, there really wasn’t much if any bleu cheese taste. There were chunks of bleu cheese, but when you bit into them they kind of crushed into powder, very strange. Celery was served with the wings.
- Value: Normal menu price varies depending on how many you order, at most it’s about $0.70 per wing of six which is average, it’s cheaper as you order more. However, my only caution would be that the small size of the wings robs some of the value. Howver, TWO wing nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays help make up for this, any wing is worth $0.20!!
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 8/10
Sauce Quality: 6/10
Sauce Variety: 4/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 24/33 =
The have a good base to work with, I think they need to revisit some of their sauces and their bleu cheese before I would say recommend this as a wing joint to frequent regularly, but the wings are still worth checking out.