Name: Curly’s Waterfront Sports Bar & Grill
Where: W272 N2696 Lakeview Blvd Pewaukee, WI 53072
Review Date: May 30, 2011
Wing Type: Traditional, Bone-in
Wing Special: Monday $0.35 wings OR 1lb of wings and a pint of domestic beer for $4.50
- Chicken Quality: Very large, plump and juicy wings cooked to perfection. Wings are among some of the biggest that I can remember. However, it seemed I had some discrepancies on the chicken quality depending on the flavor of the wing, one flavor seemed to need just a little extra time in the fryer and another almost tasted as if it was grilled. However, chicken was definitely solid.
- Sauce Variety: Six sauces: Buffalo, Bourbon, Chili Lime, BBQ, Teriyaki, and Sweet Chili. Of these I sampled three as noted below
- Sauce Quality:
- Buffalo – a nice traditional Buffalo style sauce, nothing unique, but a tried and true classic that doesn’t need any tinkering. A little bit spicier that I had expected, but nothing that the average wing eater should have any difficulty with.
- Teriyaki – a bit sweeter than I prefer in a Teriyaki sauce, but overall a nice balance between the sweet and savory tastes in a Teriyaki sauce make this a fine choice
- Chili Lime – a tasty wing with a nice burst of citrus taste yet not overpowering. Not much chili taste or heat, this sauce also presents some garlic taste which I enjoyed. This was the flavor that almost tasted like the chicken was grilled.
- Sides Quality: Wings served with choice of bleu cheese or ranch, no celery. I’m pretty sure we only ended up getting ranch, can’t recall if we were actually asked what we wanted. Subsequently, I never actually tried a dipping sauce. I’ll give them a 3 solely because the offer you a choice.
- Value: Normal menu price may be just a tick above average but not far off. A solid wing special on Monday’s makes this place a pretty good value.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 8/10
Sauce Variety: 4/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 25/33 = 76 – This has to be one of the more scenic stops we’ve had as Curly’s offers a great vista of Pewaukee Lake from your table. I think this is a good spot to head out to during the summer as it might be just a bit too depressing to look at in the winter!