Name: Brewski’s Sports Club Bar & Grill
Where:304 N 76th St Milwaukee, WI 53213
Review Date: September 15, 2011
Wing Type: Traditional, Bone-in
Wing Special: $0.50 wings on Tuesdays & Thursdays
- Chicken Quality: Wings were very large, meaty wings that were grilled, perhaps not for the entire cooking process, but they appeared to have at least been finished off on the grill as evident from a bit of char and grill marks. Made for a very tasty and filling wing with a nice crispy exterior and a moist interior.
- Sauce Variety: Eight flavors on the menu – Plain, Mild, Hot, Hot BBQ, Teriyaki, Brewski’s BBQ, Caribbean Jerk, & Thai Chili. I also had a flavor not on the online menu, hot ranch.
- Sauce Quality:
- Thai Chili – probably my least favorite flavor here as it was quite bland. Faint tastes of sweetness and heat, but nothing that jumped out at you and made you take notice.
- Hot Ranch – a nice blend of a traditional hot wing flavor with the flavor of ranch built right in. A little kick to it, but not hot by any means. A fun departure from your traditional Buffalo flavor.
- Hot BBQ – I generally dislike BBQ sauces on wings, but the exception to the rule is when the wings are grilled (to some extent) as is the case here. As such, I enjoyed this BBQ wing which was a nice balance of sweet and smoky with a decent amount of heat for a BBQ.
- Hot – probably my favorite flavor here despite it not being your traditional Buffalo style hot sauce derived from a cayenne and vinegar based hot sauce. I’d describe these wings as more of a Cajun taste, a bit saltier with some other spices in there other than just cayenne. Not overly hot at first, but it did build on me, nothing overly uncomfortable, but a good balance of heat and flavor.
- Sauces overall – for Brewski’s sauces = flavors, these are not wings that are heavily coated in sauce which is a bit disappointing for me as I love a saucy wing. However, with the exception of the Thai Chili, the wings were flavorful enough where the lack of sauce wasn’t too noticeable.
- Sides Quality: Served with your choice of ranch or bleu cheese. I was not a fan of the bleu cheese as it really tasted more along the lines of ranch dressing with some bleu cheese chunks tossed in. I think I’d be fine with that except the chunks of cheese kind of exploded into a power when you bit into them which was quite odd. I’d stick with the ranch.
- Value: Normal menu price of $7.95 is pretty average in this day and age. While a $0.50 special isn’t stellar, they do offer it twice a week (Tues & Thurs) and you do get a substantial wing for $0.50, so, well worth it.
- The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 9/10
Sauce Quality: 8/10
Sauce Variety: 4/5
Sides Quality:3 /5
Overall: 27/33 = 82 – a very tasty wing stop well worth checking out. I hope to get back sometime in the near future to check out the flavors I wasn’t able to sample on this stop!