Name: The Black Rose Irish Pub
Where: 2856 N Oakland Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211
Review Date: March 21, 2011
Wing type: Traditional, Bone-in
Wing Special: $0.35 Wing Mondays, 7p to closle
- Chicken Quality: Wings were a bit on the smaller side, yet cooked very well, tender, moist and not not too fatty. Average size wings at best, but good quality chicken here.
- Sauce Variety: Only one sauce is listed on the menu, but they had four sauces on our visit: Buffalo, BBQ, Spicy BBQ, and Honey Chipotle
- Sauce Quality: I was able to sample three of the four flavors that they offered. Overall, nothing too special. Particularly, I’d like to see a bit more heat/taste in the Buffalo flavor. However, while not overwhelming, there really wasn’t anything overly disappointing either.
- Buffalo – Very mild buffalo flavor, traditional cayenne pepper based sauce with the heat cut by a nice buttery flavor. However, a bit too buttery in my opinion, I’d like to see a bit more heat on this flavor. I think this flavor could have been helped by a bit more sauce, of all the flavors these had the least amount of sauce on the wing.
- Spicy BBQ – This flavor didn’t jump out at me right away, but the more I ate the more I liked it. Not as smoky and bit sweeter than I would normally like in a BBQ, yet there was just enough heat to balance that out to make this a tasty sauce.
- Honey Chipotle – More honey taste than chipotle taste, but under the sweet honey you could taste the smoky chipotle and get a bit of heat. While 3 of 4 people partaking in these wings did not find them overly hot, the lone woman of the group, Amy, did find these a bit on the hot side for her.
- Sides Quality: Wings were served with your choice of ranch or bleu cheese dressings. I sampled the bleu cheese which had large tasty chunks of bleu cheese in the dressing. However, if you didn’t happen to get a chunk of cheese in your bite the flavor was a bit lacking, a heavy mayonnaise taste. Wings also served with a little bit of celery
- Value: The normal menu price is a bit on the high side, but not too far off…. but your best bet is the wing special on Mondays where you can snag some $0.35 wings.
The Final Score:
Chicken Quality: 7/10
Sauce Quality: 7/10
Sauce Variety: 3/5
Sides Quality: 3/5
Overall: 22/33 = 67
The bar is pretty neat and I’d really like to dry their pizzas, but this wouldn’t be my first choice for wings. However, if you find yourself at the Black Rose and you’re in the mood for some wings, they’re definitely a decent choice.